06 Dec Stay Safe While Shopping
During the holiday season, everyone spends quite a bit of time shopping. They have to find the perfect gifts for their friends and family members. Some people take to online shopping, while others flock to brick and mortar stores. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Thieves love the holiday season because more and more people are out and about. The chances for the thief finding an easy mark greatly increase during the holidays. If you are like most people, you do not want to be an easy mark for these thieves.
There are a few things that you can do while out shopping to keep yourself safe.
- Shop during the day to avoid being alone in a parking lot at night. If you have to shop at night or late in the evening, park under a street lamp to ensure good visibility around your car.
- Have your keys ready to go before you get to your car. You do not want to be stuck searching for your keys as this can leave you vulnerable.
- Dress comfortably and casually. Dressing in expensive and fancy clothes can make yourself appear to be a more valuable target than other shoppers.
- Don’t carry more money than you will need for that particular shopping trip. In fact, try to pay with checks or credit cards as much as possible. This eliminates the amount of money that thief could potentially take.
- Avoid carrying too many packages at once. You want to be able to see where you are going, and still have the freedom to move around if need be.
- If your credit card is lost or stolen, report it to the credit card company right away. This will ensure that no one can use it and spend your hard earned money.
- Try not to use a purse or wallet when shopping, since these are prime targets for thieves. Instead, keep necessary cash and cards in your front pocket where it is harder for thieves to reach them.
- Be wary of strangers approaching you. Thieves can work in tag teams to distract you and take your belongings.
- Always stay alert and be aware of your surroundings. You do not want someone sneaking up on you.